BodyCon: I recently came across this term when searching for dresses (online) to wear for a family wedding. After a few missteps on the keyboard and into my mail, I realized BodyCon was not the type of dress I should be ordering! You live, you learn.
Yet it got me thinking, about our own self-consciousness, self-awareness. Are we always aware of how we present ourselves in a not-so-casual scenario?
Beyond verbal communication skills, which we will continue to discuss – what about body language – and how is that working for you? Here are a few (yes 5) points to ponder and while it may be okay in a casual setting may not ‘work for us’ in a professional or job seeking encounter?
- Using your chin as a headrest when talking with someone and your hand covers your mouth.
- When your eyes speak louder than your words. I’ve been accused of that!
- Hand gesturing that distracts from your verbal intentions. Yep, that too!
- Fidgeting so that your audience (of one or more) thinks you are eager to run away.
- Act as if you know it all — or know for sure, all the time.
So as you may feel the chill of others’ body positioning, tone of voice, eye contact – do monitor your own. And since my eyes have said a few choice words in the past, and my Italian gesturing hands are inherited, I just might return to studying sign language – as that extra profession. If the experts (and there are many) are right, in the future of work, we’ll all need one.